Edexcel IGCSE English Language
Specification B Tutorials
About the Edexcel IGCSE English Language Specification B syllabus
The Edexcel IGCSE English Language (Spec B) course is taught in private schools in the UK and international schools. It is a test of reading and written English. The students are given two unseen texts to read and answer questions on; the Reading Section questions are different to those of the past as they test the students not only on what the text is about but also on how it has been written. There are also tests of writing. There is one examination paper only.
The question paper and mark scheme is constructed around 5 Assessment Objectives (AOs). They are what the student is being tested and marked on in the examination. In order to achieve the highest marks, it is essential for the student to know what they are being tested on, so they can answer correctly.
The examination paper consists of three sections: a Reading Section, a Reading and Writing Section and a Writing Section. The Reading Section is worth 40% of the marks overall. The other sections are worth 30% each. The first section comprises a reading test of two passages. They are called ‘unseen’ as they have not been prepared with a teacher before the examination. The second section comprises one writing question based on the unseen extracts from the Reading Section. The third section comprises a choice of questions on writing, such as a discussion, a description or a story.
The examination lasts for 3 hours. Edexcel recommends that the student spends one hour (including reading time) on each of the three sections of the examination paper. The Reading Section tests AOs 1-3; the Reading and Writing Section tests AOs 1, 4 and 5; the Writing Section tests AOs 4 and 5 only.
The benefits of my tutorials for students of Edexcel IGCSE English Language (Spec B)
These tutorials cover all the elements that the student is required to know for successful completion of the examination. The syllabus is explained and clarified so the student knows what they are studying and why. Key areas such as the Assessment Objectives (AOs), question paper and mark scheme are explained in detail so the student understands how they are being marked. This enables them to answer correctly in order to achieve the highest marks. Clarification is given about the wording of the questions and how to answer them. Examination terminology is explained so the student is clear about what they are being asked to do and how to achieve it. This empowers the student to perform to the best of their ability in the examination.
Elements included in my tutorials for students of the Edexcel IGCSE English Language (Spec B) syllabus:
- Syllabus overview: I talk the student through the syllabus so they have a clear understanding of what they are studying and why they are studying it.
- Reading Section Assessment Objectives: I explain each of the assessment objectives, which are the basis for the question paper and mark scheme, and clarify how the student should address them in their answers.
- Reading Section Mark Scheme: I go through the sample mark scheme (with a link provided), explain what the examination terminology means and clarify what the exam board requires of the student. This will help the student to craft their answers to achieve the highest marks.
- Writing Section Assessment Objectives: I explain each of the assessment objectives, which are the basis for the question paper and mark scheme, and clarify how the student should address them in their answers.
- Writing Section Mark Scheme: I go through the sample mark scheme (with a link provided), explain what the exam terminology means and clarify what the exam board requires of the student. This will help the student to craft their answers to achieve the highest marks.
- Sample Question Paper: I go through the sample questions (with a link provided) and clarify how to answer them effectively.
Also included in your subscription to
complement the Edexcel IGCSE English Language
(Spec B) Tutorials
The following tutorial series are also included to provide the student with a complete range of tuition in order to succeed in the examination.
The DQE Method Tutorials
The DQE Method tutorials help the student with the Reading Section of their examinations. My trade-marked process teaches the student how to analyse the way a text is written and write up their answer in order to gain the the highest marks.
Core Skills Tutorials
The tutorials on the Core Skills for Writing teach the student different written forms, important written skills, exam and revision techniques. Here is everything a student needs for the Writing Sections and successful preparation and performance in the examinations.
Includes automatic access to all NEW tutorials and SYLLABUS UPDATES when available.
Low monthly subscription of only £19.99
NO MINIMUM TERM REQUIRED – CAN BE CANCELLED ANYTIME AT YOUR CONVENIENCE