CAMBRIDGE CIE IGCSE
English Language Tutorials
About the Cambridge CIE
IGCSE English Language syllabus
The Cambridge IGCSE English Language course (0990 and 0500) is a test of reading and written English. The students are given a number of texts to read and answer questions on; the questions on reading are different to those of the past as they test the students not only on what the text is about but also about how it has been written. There are two examination papers, but the second paper can be done as coursework instead (known as ‘Component 3’); Paper 1 is worth 50% of the overall mark and Paper 2 (either as an exam or as coursework) is also worth 50% of the overall mark.
The question papers and mark schemes are constructed around 2 assessment objectives (AOs): AO1 for Reading and AO2 for Writing. These have been sub-divided into smaller, more specific, elements and they are what the student is being tested on and marked on in the examinations. In order to achieve the highest marks, it is essential for the student to know what they are being tested on, so they can answer correctly.
Both examinations last for 2 hours, including reading time, and both examinations test both reading and writing. Paper 1 is more heavily weighted towards reading while Paper 2 is more heavily weighted towards writing. Paper 1 comprises a reading test of three unseen texts and writing tasks based on them. Paper 2 comprises a compulsory task of writing, such as a formal letter or speech, based on two unseen texts. This is followed by a choice of questions on imaginative writing, such as a story or description, and the student chooses one of them to answer on. The coursework element (also known as ‘Component 3’), which can be opted for in place of Paper 2 as an examination, also tests both reading and writing. It comprises three tasks: a written task based on non-fiction writing; a description; a narrative (a story).
The benefits of my tutorials for students of Cambridge CIE IGCSE English Language
These tutorials cover all the elements that the student is required to know for successful completion of the examination. The syllabus is explained and clarified so the student knows what they are studying and why. Key areas such as the assessment objectives (AOs), question papers and mark schemes are explained in detail so the student understands how they are being marked. This enables them to answer correctly in order to achieve the highest marks. Clarification is given about the wording of the questions and how to answer them. Examination terminology is explained so the student is clear about what they are being asked to do and how to achieve it. This empowers the student to perform to the best of their ability in both examinations (and the coursework option).
Elements included in my tutorials for students of the Cambridge CIE English Language syllabus:
- Syllabus overview: I talk the student through the syllabus so they have a clear understanding of what they are studying and why they are studying it.
- Reading Section Assessment Objectives: I explain each of the assessment objectives, which are the basis for the question papers and mark schemes, and clarify how the student should address them in their answers.
- Reading Section Mark Schemes: For both Paper 1 and Paper 2, I go through the sample mark schemes (with a link provided), explain what the exam terminology means and clarify what the exam board requires of the student. This will help the student to craft their answers to achieve the highest marks.
- Writing Section Assessment Objectives: I explain each of the assessment objectives, which are the basis for the question papers and mark schemes, and clarify how the student should address them in their answers.
- Writing Section Mark Schemes: For both Paper 1 and Paper 2, I go through the sample mark schemes (with a link provided), explain what the exam terminology means and clarify what the exam board requires of the student. This will help the student to craft their answers to achieve the highest marks.
- Paper 1 and Paper 2 Sample Questions: I go through the sample questions (with a link provided) and clarify how to answer them effectively.
- Coursework (Component 3) Guidance: I discuss the coursework tasks and the mark schemes in the syllabus (with a link provided), so the student has a clear understanding of what is required.
Also included in your subscription to
complement the Cambridge CIE IGCSE
English Language Tutorials
The following tutorial series are also included to provide the student with a complete range of tuition in order to succeed in the examination.
The DQE Method Tutorials
The DQE Method tutorials help the student with the Reading Section of their examinations. My trade-marked process teaches the student how to analyse the way a text is written and write up their answer in order to gain the the highest marks.
Core Skills Tutorials
The tutorials on the Core Skills for Writing teach the student different written forms, important written skills, exam and revision techniques. Here is everything a student needs for the Writing Sections and successful preparation and performance in the examinations.
Includes automatic access to all NEW tutorials and SYLLABUS UPDATES when available.
Low monthly subscription of only £19.99
NO MINIMUM TERM REQUIRED – CAN BE CANCELLED ANYTIME AT YOUR CONVENIENCE