AQA GCSE English Language
About the AQA GCSE English Language syllabus
The AQA GCSE Language course is taught in UK schools and it is a test of reading and written English. The students are given a number of texts to read and answer questions on; the Reading Section questions are different to those of the past as they test the students not only on what the text is about but also about how it has been written. There is a choice of questions on which to write in an imaginative and transactional style, such as formal letter or speech. There are two compulsory examination papers, but no written coursework; each paper is worth 50% of the overall mark.
The question papers and mark schemes are constructed around 6 Assessment Objectives (AOs), which are set by Ofqual and are the same for all of the GCSE English Language courses and all of the exam boards. They are what the student is being tested on and marked on in the examinations. In order to achieve the highest marks, it is essential for the student to know what they are being tested on, so they can answer correctly.
Both Papers 1 and 2 consist of a Reading and a Writing section. Both of these sections are worth the same amount of marks overall. Paper 1 comprises a reading test of fiction, followed by a choice of questions on imaginative writing, such as a story, the beginning of a story or a description. Paper 2 comprises a reading test of non-fiction texts, followed by one question on transactional writing, such as formal letter or speech.
Each examination lasts for 1 hour and 45 minutes. AQA recommends the student spends 15 minutes reading, 45 minutes answering questions on the fiction text and 45 minutes on their imaginative writing. On both papers, the Reading Sections test AOs 1-4 only and the Writing Sections test AOs 5 and 6 only.
The benefits of my tutorials for students of AQA GCSE English Language
These tutorials cover all elements that the student is required to know for successful completion of the examination. The syllabus is explained and clarified so the student knows what they are studying and why. Key areas such as the assessment objectives (AOs), questions papers and mark schemes are explained in detail so the student understands how they are being marked. This enables them to answer correctly in order to achieve the highest marks. Clarification is given about the wording of the questions and how to answer them. Examination terminology is explained so the student is clear about what they are being asked to do and how to achieve it. This empowers the student to perform to the best of their ability in both examinations.
Elements included in my tutorials for students of the AQA English Language syllabus:
- Syllabus overview: I talk the student through the syllabus so they have a clear understanding of what they are studying and why they are studying it.
- Reading Section Assessment Objectives: I explain each of the assessment objectives which are the basis for the question papers and mark schemes and clarify how the student should address them in their answers.
- Reading Section Mark Schemes: For both Paper 1 and Paper 2, I go through the sample mark schemes (with a link provided), explain what the exam terminology means and clarify what the exam board requires of the student. This will help the student to craft their answers to achieve the highest marks.
- Writing Section Assessment Objectives: I explain each of the assessment objectives, which are the basis for the question papers and mark schemes, and clarify how the student should address them in their answers.
- Writing Section Mark Schemes: For both Paper 1 and Paper 2, I go through the sample mark schemes (with a link provided), explain what the exam terminology means and clarify what the exam board requires of the student. This will help the student to craft their answers to achieve the highest marks.
- Paper 1 and Paper 2 Sample Questions:
I go through the sample questions (with a link provided) and clarify how to answer them effectively.
Also included in your subscription to
complement the AQA GCSE English Language Tutorials
The following tutorials are also included to provide the student with a complete range of tuition in order to succeed in the examination.
The DQE Method Tutorials
The DQE Method tutorials help the student with the Reading Section of their examinations. My trade-marked process teaches the student how to analyse the way a text is written and write up their answer in order to gain the the highest marks.
Core Skills Tutorials
The tutorials on the Core Skills for Writing teach the student different written forms, important written skills, exam and revision techniques. Here is everything a student needs for the Writing Sections and successful preparation and performance in the examinations.
Includes automatic access to all NEW tutorials and SYLLABUS UPDATES when available.
Low monthly subscription of only £19.99
NO MINIMUM TERM REQUIRED – CAN BE CANCELLED ANYTIME AT YOUR CONVENIENCE